Thứ Ba, 5 tháng 11, 2013

Keiichiro Toyama talks about how he would like to continue making horror games like Silent Hill, even though it's difficult and costly

What comes to mind when you think of Silent Hill? Sure, horror and creepy monsters trying to kill you come to every one's mind, but there is another factor. Money, and lots of it. It takes millions to produce a great horror title, and Silent Hill is certainly no exception to the matter. Keiichiro Toyama worked on the original title, and has a fellow fan of horror games, he knows quite a bit about what it takes to produce a great game like SH. Not just in terms of effort, but cost wise. Recently in an interview with Famitsu, he talked about his work in the industry, and how he would like to get back to making great titles like SH.

“I’ve worked on horror for a long time. Whenever I work on something different, I can’t help but come up with new horror-oriented ideas. So I’d like to make another horror game someday, but the thing is, unlike in the past, I think it’s become kind of hard to make horror games. To some extent, horror is a good match for the ‘B’ genre, in terms of taking advantage of low budgets for the maximum return and maximum quality. However, we’re now in an environment where B-grade titles are simply being priced out of the retail-software market. I think making a pure horror AAA console title is going to be really difficult going into the future. Instead, if I have a chance to make something like Journey that you can complete in two or three hours, but still offers an intense horror experience, I’d love to try that.”

Toyama worked at Konami, but it wasn't too long before he moved on to Sony around 1999. His transition was made from a personal standpoint.

"I felt like I had taken the director job a little too quickly, and I lost some of my confidence in the process. We had a lot of talented people on the staff, like "creature designer" Masahiro Ito, cut scene director Takayoshi Sato and "musician and later series producer" Akira Yamaoka, and to some extent, I felt like my design work was more getting in the way of their talents than anything else. So I moved to SCE with the intention of re-learning my job from the ground up."

If Toyama makes a second comeback to the horror scene, let's hope it will give Silent Hill the spice it so richly needs. In recent years it seems the series has lost the momentum it once had. Perhaps a second examination of SH2 would give some insight as to how to bring the series back where it belongs.

Source - Famitsu
Translation - Polygon



Không có nhận xét nào:

Đăng nhận xét